[This is part four in a multipart series. If this is your first visit to Marketing Press’ Complete Guide To Websites For Small Business, please check out the series from the beginning.]
Prefer to listen? Greg Taylor talks about the pros and cons of hiring a WordPress Developer or Doing it yourself.
Should I hire a WordPress Developer or should I create my small businesses site on my own? This question comes up quite often. There are pros and cons to both choices.
WordPress is easy to use, but not always simple if you want a more in depth website. Let’s explore this question deeper to get a better understanding of both choices.
Should I hire a WordPress Developer for my project?
- Know how to create websites that work well for businesses
- Have extensive knowledge of website design
- Access to a higher level of functionality
- Are creative thinkers and can add a branded “personality” to your site.
- Develop websites with to meet your small business goals
- There is a cost involved when working with WordPress Developers
- It may be difficult to find a developer that works well with you
Should I develop my business’ website on my own
- No money involved, just time
- You can go at your own pace to develop the site
- There is a potential learning curve
- The end product may not be as developed and detailed as you hoped for
- Time has to be spent on development and learning code
These are the basic pros and cons. If you really want to learn how to develop WordPress sites, I would say go for it. There is always a learning curve when you are acquiring any new skill, so patience is key.
This section is not meant to scare you away from doing the project in-house or in your spare time. We just want to make sure you know what you are getting into. Yes, WordPress is free and not overly complicated to use, but there are instances when it is not simple and may take watching tutorials or reading instruction documents to accomplish your web development tasks.